This week we have Tuscan Style Tuna Salad! This would be a really great lunch item, especially over a nice green salad.
- 2 6-ounce cans chunk light tuna, drained (see Note)
- 1 15-ounce can small white beans, such as cannellini or great northern, rinsed (see Ingredient note)
- 10 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 4 scallions, trimmed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Combine tuna, beans, tomatoes, scallions, oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir gently. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
- Ingredient Note: When you use canned beans in a recipe, be sure to rinse them first in a colander under cold running water, as their canning liquid often contains a fair amount of sodium.
NutritionPer serving: 253 calories; 8 g fat ( 1 g sat , 5 g mono ); 53 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 6 g fiber; 453 mg sodium; 451 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (25% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 very lean meat, 1 fat